Be it your personal network or at the office, wireless internet is the go-to solution for almost everyone. It is hassle-free, can connect multiple devices at a time and the overall speed of the internet is commendable. The service has also evolved manifolds in the past few years so you get lightning-fast internet through different frequencies which help you get consistent services round the clock.
However, the experience you have with the wireless internet is largely dependent on the type of router and the brand that you choose. There are so many different internet service providers and brands of routers available today. One such option is the Cisco routers.
When you are aware of how to log in to your cisco router as well as have the basic knowledge of troubleshooting and changing the passwords, you will not require any professional help and do the tweaks as required at any time of the day. Cisco router login can be either done using the specific SSID and password of the device which is provided at the bottom of the backside of the router on a sticker or you can use default IP addresses.
There are several default IP addresses for cisco router login and you can choose based on the type of your network- private or public. In case your internet is not working or it is slower than usual, with the help of the login addresses and relevant username and password, you can enter the admin dashboard and make the necessary changes to prevent the troubles.
In this article, we will give you an idea about login to cisco router and also the different troubleshooting methods that you must know about. Before that, here is a list of the different default IP addresses which can be used for Cisco router login along with their username and passwords.
Steps to Login For Cisco Router:
The first thing to do would be setting up the internet connection and tweaking the connection as per your need. Once this is done correctly, you can enjoy an uninterrupted internet connection round the clock from any corner of your home. However, before you start with the internet connection and setup, the following are few things that you must ensure:
- A stable wired internet connection is important for the set up so that it does not pause midway. Also, make sure it is the same internet connection that is to be set up for the router otherwise, the login page will not open.
- The ethernet cable should be in good condition and connect well on both ends for the network to be stable. In case there are any hardwire defects; the login process will be hampered.
- Make sure the right default IP address is used for the login process. This means you must choose a default IP address that is designed for a private network specifically. The default username and password for the Cisco router login must also be correctly entered. Last but not the least, make sure the IP address is correctly entered in the browser so that there is no problem while opening the login page.
Once you have ensured all this, the following are the steps which you must follow in order to set up the internet connection:
- Open a browser of your choice. As a precautionary step, keep the browser updated so that there is no hindrance in opening the login page.
- Enter the default IP address for cisco routers and then press enter. If the address is correctly entered, it will redirect you to the login page.
- Enter the cisco username and password in the respective fields on the page and then click enter. The cisco default username is usually “cisco” or “admin” and it is fixed.
- Once you have entered the admin dashboard, you need to set up the wireless internet connection through the wireless internet settings.
- You will need to configure the Cisco router and change the settings as required depending on the internet service provider whose connection you have.
- After the setup is complete, you will have applied the changes and then save it. Once you have saved the changes, restart the client device for the changes to take effect.
- Do note, after the setup has been done, you need to connect the different client devices manually to access the wireless connection.
However, at times there are some troubles that can occur when you are trying to set up an internet connection. The following are the different troubles which you may face along with the possible solutions so that the internet setup can be correctly done:
- Often the router stops working after the setup has been done. This happens when you have updated the wrong settings. You can revert back to the default configuration by resetting the router to the factory settings.
- In case, the internet connection is unstable, you will not be able to complete the router login process. However, in such a situation, you need to wait till the internet service provider sets the servers right and the internet regains the speed. Then you can start the setup process once more.
- Often when the default IP address is entered incorrectly as in there is a typing error or extra space, trouble with connectivity will occur. This wisest solution will be to look up the respective default IP address online and then paste it into the web browser.
- Lastly, if you are choosing the wrong IP address, the login page will not open. So, look up the correct default IP address and use that one. Or else, you can also use the SSID and the respective password for the setup process which you can find behind the device.
Once you have completed the login process and the internet setup, you must update the default password for your device. This is important for the security of your device. The next section will give you all the instructions for the password setup.
How To Reset The Password Of Logins?
It is important to update or reset the default password of your internet and router login so that there is no breach in the network. The unauthorized access to your internet connection or hacking can be prevented when you take this basic step. However, many users are not sure about how the password update and changing can be done. The following are the steps to update your password as required without any professional help:
- Connect your device to the wireless connection to the ethernet internet.
- Launch the web browser of your choice and then enter the IP address. Login by following the steps shared above and then go to the admin dashboard.
- Next, look up the wireless settings and go to the quick setup segment under this section.
- There is an option called pre-shared key here. You will have to enter the new password in this section and also confirm it in the relevant field. Also, the old password has to be entered in the respective field.
- Now click on the apply option and then click on the save option.
- Restart the device and the changes will take effect.
In case you have updated the default password earlier and set a new password already, you will have to update this time and again so that the Cisco router default password remains unpredictable. However, if you forget the last set password, then resetting the device and setting it up once again is the only option you will have. Here’s what you need to do to complete the setup in this situation:
- There is a red button at the back or the bottom of the router which is the physical reset button.
- Press and hold the red button down for 10-15 seconds till all the lights on the router go out.
- Once the LED lights have turned off, disconnect the router from the power source and let it stay for a couple of minutes.
- Plugin the electric connection and turn it on again and then turn on the router.
- The green lights will start flickering as the connections start coming back. Wait till the green lights are steady and solid. This indicates the internet connection is back.
- Now start with the internet setup process once more and then connect the internet connection again.
- After the internet connection is done correctly using the default IP address, username and password, you can change the password as well.
Do note, only the default cisco router passwords can be updated. The username remains fixed at “admin” or “cisco”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the username and password for Cisco Router?
The default username for cisco routers is either “cisco” or “admin”. This cannot be altered. The password is also either “cisco” or “admin” but depending on the default Ip address you choose it can vary as well. You can simply search the internet and will be able to find the relevant username and password for any IP address that you are using.
- What is the default login for Cisco Router?
The default login for the cisco router varies from one IP address to another. There are several different default IP addresses that can be specifically used for login into any type of cisco router and you will have to use the relevant default username and password. We have listed all the default Ip addresses that can be used and their relevant username and password here.
- Why can’t I connect to my router login page?
There are several reasons why one is unable to connect to the cisco router login page. Once you find out the reasons behind the trouble, you can also work out the solution in no time. In case the IP address is incorrect this problem can arise. Also, if the internet connection is unstable the router login page cannot be opened. Furthermore, if there is any trouble with the hardwired connection like a broken ethernet cable, this problem can arise.
- What is my Router’s IP?
The router’s IP address can be found on the admin dashboard. You can find it from the android phone by going to the settings menu and then checking WLAN details. The IP address can be found as the router’s Gateway in the settings section. From the computer, you can check the same in the dashboard by checking the wireless settings.
- How do I know if my router is working properly?
You can figure out whether your router is working properly. The LED indicators on the router give you an idea about the condition of your router and its connectivity. In case the router is stable and connected, all the indicators for WLAN, internet, power, etc. will be either solid green or blue. In case there is a problem with the router, the LED indicators will glow red, orange or will be off completely.
- How do I know if my router is overloaded?
The most obvious sign that your router is overloaded is that the internet connection will be significantly slower. Specifically, the downloading speed will be affected and they will take a long time even for smaller files. In such a situation, it is wiser to disconnect a few devices or limit the type of internet activities done on all the devices.
Whether your internet is down in the middle of the night or needs an urgent solution any time of the day, waiting for professional help to arrive is not always feasible. But when you are adept with a cisco router login you can quickly solve the problem at minimum possible wait time. Moreover, updating your router password and making changes in the internet network service provider and related settings also becomes much easier when you have this basic knowledge.
You can enjoy uninterrupted streaming and ensure that your internet is not accessed without your knowledge when the basic technical solutions are at your fingertips. By learning all about the Cisco router username and password and how to use them, you can quickly and effectively sort out any trouble that occurs with the network.